If you are on Reddit and asking questions on how to rip DVDs or questions alike, you will be probably recommended to use both MakeMKV and Handbrake: MakeMKV to rip the DVD to MKV, and handbrake to format as mp4. People recommend so just because the two of them are free to use and it always works great. So, are MakeMKV and Handbrake always the best combination to rip Bluray DVDs?
While it is free to rip and convert DVDs as well as AVCHD discs, it costs $50 for ripping Bluray disc. You may see discounts for MakeMKV up to 10%, 20%, and some even says 50%, however, none of the MakeMKV discounts are TRUE. Actually there is NO DISCOUNT for MakeMKV at all. MakeMKV is ONLY available in there official site:
MakeMKV is very popular even when it comes to Bluray DVD ripping. MakeMKV rips almost any Bluray discs with latest versions of AACS and BD+ up to v68 at the moment to MKV with all audio and subtitle tracks and keeps the original Bluray 1080P video quality. The ripping speed is fast considering it does not reencode the M2TS file as MKV is a great container to contain all kinds of video and audio codecs. So, if you just need MKV for playback on computers, either on macOS or Windows, MakeMKV will be to your first choice.
I have been experimenting with MakeMKV to convert MKV files from BluRay discs to reduce file size. But it does not seem to reduce much. In this case, Handbrake is right here to combinate with MakeMKV and do the following for you:
Disadvantage of Using MakeMKV and Handbrake to Rip Bluray DVD
While it seems that MakeMKV and Handbrake are your best option to rip Bluray DVDs but they still have their disadvantages and cons.
First of all, as mentioned above, it takes you two process to rip, firstly rip Bluray DVD to MKV and re-format MKV to MP4. Although the two still take reasonable time to convert, it is still inconvenient and you will have to sit in front of your computer and start the next process of converting MKV to MP4 using Handbrake, which will be time consuming.
Second, either MKV or MP4 is limited for some people. People come with different needs for videos’ playback, streaming, editing etc and thus some would prefer ripping Bluray DVD to AVI or WMV or do you want to rip Bluray directly to iPad or Bluray to Google Drive? And, is Handbrake able to convert MKV to 3D MP4? Obviously not.
MakeMKV and Handbrake Alternative-Rip Bluray DVD Directly to MP4 AVI WMV
If you are looking for a more straight-forward way to rip Bluray DVD directly to MP4 AVI WMV and even 3D formats like 3D MKV and 3D MP4, I’d like to recommend an awesome MakeMKV and Handbrake alternative for you-Leawo Bluray Ripper.
With Leawo Blu-ray Ripper, you can do all the combination of MakeMKV and Handbrake do within one program and it does more with over 180 output formats supported including those that are not supported by MakeMKV and Handbrake like the audio formats AAC, MP3, FLAC etc and 3D formats. The editing feature is powerful for you to custom your own outputs just as you like. One more, Leawo Bluray Ripper supports DVD ripping as well and you can even rip DVDs remotely without local DVD drive.
How to Rip and Convert Bluray DVD directly to MP4 AVI WMV
If this is your first time ripping Blu-ray discs with Leawo Blu-ray Ripper, this is a quick guide on how to rip and convert Bluray DVDs directly to MP4. And it applies to other video formats like AVI, MKV, MOV, and devices like iPhone, iPad, Apple TV etc.
1. Just follow the above free trial link to download and install Leawo Bluray Ripper. You will see what you download and install is called Leawo Prof. Media. No worry, this is the all-in-one launcher of all Leawo media solutions.
2. Click Blu-ray Ripper in the main UI of Leawo Prof. Media.
3. Click Add Blu-ray/DVD to add the Bluray you want to rip directly to MP4.
Free free to drag and drop the Blu-ray disc to the program for an easy adding. Also, Bluray folders and ISO files are also supported.
4. You will then be presented to choose the Full, Main or Custom Movie for ripping and Main Movie comes as default and it is recommended for most of us. For those who are ripping TV shows, please go to Full Movie so you can also all the titles listed for you. Custom Mode is NOT recommended but if you understand the Bluray structure well, go for it.
6. Editing Bluray. Leawo Bluray Ripper comes with a powerful preview player and edit engine. Click Edit for options like trim, watermark, crop, adjust effects. If you’d like to enjoy a 3D movie on a larger screen Apple TV, go 3D and enable 3D mode. Side-by-side is recommended:
7. Ripping Bluray directly to MP4. So, we are almost done now. Just hit the big CONVERT button and let Leawo do the rest for you. Have yourself a cup of coffee and be back to enjoy the Bluray movie with the original video quality!
One More Thing
In order to better rip Bluray DVDs to any video format or device you need, I prepare a 25% discount coupon for you and you are able to save up to $24.99 for lifetime license! The discount coupon is both available for PC and Mac users!